- Prayerfully consider your involvement.
- Please read the following information in its entirety (There is a lot of important information that you will need to know).
- Fill out the application form
- Someone on the Ministry of Praise and Worship leadership team will contact you about your application and a scheduled audition time.
Questions are welcome…
Elder, Ministry of Praise and Worship
- Spiritual Preparation: Worship on a platform is the overflow of a lifestyle of worship and a heart that is well-cultivated throughout the week. Personal spiritual intimacy with Jesus is our FIRST priority. One hour on a Sunday morning is a mere .6% of a week. If the only time you “worship” is .6% of your week, something is wrong. How can we lead people where we haven’t gone ourselves?
- Musical Preparation: Rehearsals are infinitely smoother when everyone has listened to, practiced with and memorized the scheduled music. Being prepared also means having any gear or equipment that you intend to use on Sunday with you for practice (lyric sheets, lyrics on phone)
- Attitude: When ideas or suggestions are presented and received with a good attitude, the results are monumental for effective team building. If there are technical, musical or miscellaneous complications, keep attitudes positive and morale high. Be open to the constructive criticism of the worship or ministry team leader. They are trying to pull out every bit of greatness in you they can find, so be patient and receptive of constructive feedback.
- Punctuality: Everyone’s time is valuable. It’s important that everyone be punctual for rehearsals so that we can use our limited time as efficiently as possible. Arriving early is always a great idea. We are very serious about punctuality. Being on time is a respect issue. Tardiness communicates a lack of respect for your colleagues, for Second Calvary Baptist Church, and for the Lord. If an unexpected situation arises and you know you will be late, please communicate as quickly as possible with the worship leader or Elder.
- Dress: Second Calvary Ministry of Praise and Worship has a dress code (see attached). These are a few basic requirements. Shoulders, cleavage, and the mid-section should be completely covered at all times. Skirts must be at the knee or below. Shorts of any length and any article of clothing with questionable text or graphics should not be worn. We want everyone’s focus to be on God. Anything that takes focus off of Him is a hindrance to our ultimate goal. Should your choice of clothing not meet this standard, you will not be able to serve until it has been resolved. This decision is up to the Elder or the Praise Team Leader.
- Flexibility: The worship leader always tries to give adequate notice of schedule or setlist changes. While it is not uncommon for these changes to take place, it is only done when necessary. It is recommended that you periodically check your phone for any texts indicating any potential changes.
Auditions are, by nature, a little intimidating. We will try to make the process as relaxed as possible. In some cases, it may be evident that an applicant’s skills have not developed enough to serve at this time. Should this be the case, those conducting the audition will give some advice on how the applicant can improve. After some time and practice, another audition may be scheduled.
- Rehearsals cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time. Being a spectator will allow you to see first-hand how rehearsals flow.
- When you know what to expect at rehearsal, it will allow you to be better prepared when it is your turn.
- It may help you to be more relaxed. Singing with a new group of people can cause some to be nervous. Having multiple chances to meet those you will be serving alongside should calm your nerves.
An additional step will be to have the staff send you the YouTube links to songs we will be using in worship. This will assist you in becoming familiar with the songs.
The Praise Team Leader is in charge of scheduling vocalists. The frequency with which you are scheduled will depend on how many applicants are ahead of you and the information you provide on the application (i.e. experience, availability).
Take a moment to review the schedule below. This is the normal weekly schedule and commitment expectations for those leading in worship on Sunday.
Monday – Friday (5 hrs)
Listen, practice and memorize the music for Saturday rehearsal
Saturday Morning (2.5 hrs)
Arrival and setup (9:00 am-9:15 am)
Devotional/Prayer time (9:15 am–9:30 am)
Rehearsal (9:30 am–11:30 am)
Sunday (5 hrs)
Worship Service (7:45 am)
Worship Service (10:00 am)
Second Calvary Baptist Church operates according to scriptural standards. Therefore, Ministry members are expected to exercise discretion and modesty regarding clothing and personal hygiene. A Christian’s testimony can hurt and offend others by the choice of clothing or the way it is worn. Attire that is too tight, too loose, or too short may appear provocative even though unintentional.
With this in mind, the Ministry of Praise and Worship will enforce the following dress code:
- Shirts should meet the waistline when arms are extended
- Shirts must reveal minimal cleavage
- Shirts must not be tight fitting
- Shirts must provide enough coverage as not to reveal underwear
- Shirts must cover shoulder and back areas
- Shirts or jackets that contain text or pictures must honor God
- Skirts’ lengths must come to the knee or below
- Pants and skirts must have no holes that show skin
- Pants or skirts must not be tight fitting
- Leggings must be worn with a tunic that covers mid thigh and below